Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Father's Love

Jake had a tantrum the other day - a raging, ear-splitting, nails-down-the-chalkboard kind of tantrum. And it was all because of chocolate milk.

The kids' preschool has Chick-Fil-A fundraisers several times a year, where 20% of your order total is donated to the school. Since you don't have to twist our arms to go to CFA anyway, I went through the drive-thru on fundraiser night to pick up dinner. Jake rode with me; Natalie was home with Nick. Things were peaceful as I pulled up to the window to place my order. I got our usual order (2 kids meals with nuggets, fries, and lemonade, a salad and sweet tea for me, and just waffle fries for Nick.) As soon as I paid for the food and started to drive away, Jake asked, "Mommy, what did you get me to drink?"

"Lemonade." I answered.

"But I want chocwat milk!" (There was a hint of whine in his voice at this point.)

"Well, you always get lemonade, so I just assumed you wanted it this time. Sorry."

"I don't WANT wemonade!!!! I want chocwat MILK!!!!!!!!"

"Jake" I said, trying to stay calm, "we have chocolate milk at home."

"BUT I WANT CHICKAWAY CHOCWAT MILK! GO BACK AND GET ME SOME! DON'T WANT WEMONADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He was crying hard at this point.

I pulled over in the parking lot and ordered him to stop whining. Right now. Of course he didn't. We sat there for several minutes, me lecturing him on gratitude and him crying about the unfairness of having to drink a beverage he wasn't in the mood to drink. I know my tone of voice wasn't the nicest because I was pretty annoyed at this point. The crisis eventually passed, with me promising that I would check with Jake next time before ordering his drink but that he needed to keep the whining in check. I drove home grumpy and irritated.

Later that night, I pondered what had happened. Yes, it was a bit ridiculous for Jake to be so upset; after all, he was getting a yummy meal to eat even if it wasn't exactly what he had in mind. But how often have I done the same thing? How many times has my Father up above given me wonderful blessings that I have ignored or complained about? I wake up to a beautiful day and complain that the temperature is too hot or cold. I gripe about being tired and stressed out as a mom, even though He has given me 2 of the most amazing gifts I could ever hope for in my children. I whine about my husband working too much, forgetting that we are extraordinarily lucky that he has a good job and that he loves and provides for us. The list goes on, but it is humbling and convicting when I think about it.


I think perhaps God has given us the gift of parenthood to illustrate the relationship He has with us. In spite of Jake's incessant complaining about the lemonade, I still love him more than I can describe. No matter how frustrating things may get, my love for Jake and Natalie is constant. How comforting to realize that God's love is the same for me. Even when I behave like a tantruming, ungrateful child, God still loves me and continues to bless me. He doesn't yell and scream at me; He doesn't yank His blessings away. How amazing and gracious He is - I hope I can learn to extend the same grace to my own children here on earth.

No comments: