Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vive La Difference!

Natalie started preschool this year. She goes 2 mornings a week, and has the same teachers Jake had when he was her age. It cracks me up when I read her daily progress note and it says things like, "Wow, she and Jake sure are different!." Truer words have never been spoken.

Jake is a pretty mellow child. He does have SPD, but aside from that his temperment is fairly laid back. He is sweet, but also very much all boy. He LOVES his cars, trains, trucks, and airplanes. He is vehicle obsessed. To this day he carries a car or train with him wherever he goes. And he always brings along enough to share with his friends, because in his mind, how can you have fun without a vehicle of some sort? I love his generous spirit. He is only 4, but really does take the time to select enough things so that each person in our group that day won't be left out. Yes, he has meltdowns and disagreeable moments just like any other child, but he makes my heart melt on a daily basis. An added bonus is that he plays independently extremely well, which is great for Mommy when I have a million other things going on or I just need some downtime.


Then there's my Natalie. She is one of the feistiest children I have ever known. It makes our days challenging, but also tons of fun. She loves to be silly and loves music, singing, Dora, and Oreo cookies. And ice cream - boy can that girl put away some ice cream! One of my favorite recent moments with her was the other day when we were driving in the car. She started crying that she had a boo boo and "kiss it mommy!" I explained that I was driving and couldn't reach back to kiss it. She cried a bit more, then stopped. I heard a big MMM-MUH and glanced in the rearview mirror just in time to see her kissing herself. How resourceful, that daughter of mine! I just love her so darn much, even when she's pushing my buttons!
How funny that 2 kids from the same gene pool can be so different! I'm so blessed by both of them.



No comments: