Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No fair!

Jake has picked up a frustrating habit as of late. If something isn't to his liking, he will respond with "no fair!" Now, sometimes life isn't fair(all of us adults know that for a fact) but he will use it in situations like this:

Me:"Jake, time to put on your shoes."
Jake: "No fair!"

Natalie:"Jakey, tum on, les go!"
Jake: "No fair!"

I grew irritated one day after hearing this for the millionth time, and finally told him he wasn't allowed to say it unless he used it properly. He didn't quite grasp this, so I waited until he said it again.

Me: "Jake, we are going to take a bath in about 5 minutes."
Jake: (You guessed it!) "No fair!"
Me: "Remember, I told you to only use those words in the appropriate context. There is nothing fair or not fair about bathing."
Jake: "Oh. So when can I say it?"

I would like to report that I used this opportunity as a beautiful teaching moment with my son. I'd like to say that I sat him down and gently explained the proper usage of the term 'no fair.'
But it was late and I was tired, so I said the first thing that popped into my head. "Genocide in Darfur. THAT's not fair."
Poor Jake looked terribly confused. Then he said softly, "What's 'cide, Mommy?"
"Oh gosh, " I thought to myself. "What have I done?"
"Um, don't worry about it honey," I told him.

Thankfully he didn't ask anything else. I still wish I had responded in a more appropriate way for a four year old. But you know what? I haven't heard "no fair" since!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi, Kristin! I meant to stop by here months ago, but lately haven't had a ton of time to myself. Great to read a little of what's going on in your life lately. Miss you!