Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend Entertainment

I'm very blessed to have a husband who wakes up with the kids on weekends so that mommy can get some extra sleep. (Anyone who knows me is aware that I NEVER turn down a chance to sleep!) One of the best parts of these weekend siestas is a chance to overhear Jake and Natalie interacting with their daddy. For example, here is a conversation from a recent Saturday morning. Allow me to set the scene...


Nick has just brought the kids downstairs and is getting ready to help them get dressed. I hear Nick say, "Come here Nat, let's get your clothes on."


Jake: "No, Daddy, do me first!"

Natalie: "No Jakey, Daddy do ME!"

Nick: "Jake, wait just a minute while I get Natalie dressed."

Jake: "But I have POOP!" (yes he is potty trained, but he still needs a pull-up at night)

Nick: "Umm..."

Jake: "Mommy says whoever has poop gets changed first."

Nick: "Well, okay then. Jake, come here and I'll help you get changed."

Jake: "See Nawie, I get to go first because I have poop!


He may as well have added a big "HA!" at the end of that sentence, because he sounded so dang proud of himself. Like having excrement in your pants is this really great thing. Silly boy!

Just yesterday he was telling Nick about the substitute teacher in his preschool class.

Jake: "Daddy, Mrs. Russell isn't in my class anymore. Now we have Ms. Waura"(Laura, for the preschool-language challenged).
Nick: "Oh, is she nice?"
Jake: "Yes. She's much bigger."
Nick: "Really?" (stifling a laugh)
Jake: " Uh-huh. She's as big as the clouds!"

While I appreciate Jake's astute observations, this is NOT one I will be sharing with his preschool teachers!

Let me just end by saying thank you to Nick for allowing me my lazy weekend indulgence. Hey, he has golf, and I have my cozy bed. Works for me!:)

No comments: