Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Faith of a Child

Today was a dreary day - cold, damp, and gray. Not that it stopped my children from wanting to play outside. Jake got a mop and decided to 'sweep' the water off the yard and sidewalk. Natalie joined him initially, then decided to sit with me on the porch away from the drizzle (smart girl, that daughter of mine). As Jake was mopping, he looked up at the sky and said, "Hmm, I think a big storm is coming." I answered him, "Oh, really?" "Yes," he replied. "Mommy, Jesus is going to turn on the thunder and it will go BOOM BOOM!"


Basic science to a four year old I guess! Or it something more? That innocent comment reminded me of a time several months ago when we were having a huge thunderstorm. Nick was working late, and the kids and I huddled together in Jake's bed waiting for it to pass. Natalie was particularly scared - she doesn't like 'shunder.' I tried to comfort her and explain that storms are loud and scary but they eventually go away. My words made little difference. Then Jake spoke up.
"Nawie, it's okay. Jesus will take care of us. " As I followed his lead and began relating the story of Jesus calming the storm for his disciples, my heart swelled with pride. Not pride in myself, but pride in the fact that my young son was already beginning to grasp the depth of God's love and concern for His children. Jake wasn't scared. And why should he be?


Why should any of us be? I worry excessively over many things, and all that anxiety is just wasted energy. I pray that my faith will become more like a child, more like my four year old who knows that Jesus controls the thunder and all the storms that come our way. There is a song I like that says, "sometimes He calms the storm, and other times He calms His child."


God is in control . Jake truly grasps this. I hope one day I will too.

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

So sweet, Kristen. You are a wonderful mommy:)